Baby with toy bunny, Source https://www.flickr.com/photos/floridamemory/6520748155/, Author Florida Memory (PD)
WARNING: Graphic Images
- Joseph Milano and Lauren Semanyk, a Maryland couple, have been charged with third degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the death of their 10 month old daughter . Other charges pending include possession of drug paraphernalia. The couple waited over 6 hours to report that the baby had ingested fentanyl, a synthetic opioid 50-100 times more powerful than morphine. They described Angelina to emergency personnel as having drowned during a bath.
- A 16 month old Pennsylvania toddler is in guarded condition after having chewed on a discarded baggie that held heroin . Narcan saved both the baby’s life and his mother’s, both found unconscious. A search at the home turned up a dozen empty heroin bags. The mother is expected to be charged.
- Antonio Floyd and Shantanice Barksdale, a Michigan couple, have been charged with second degree murder and manslaughter in the death of their 18 month old daughter . The toddler, Ava, died after ingesting some 15 times the amount of fentanyl commonly seen in overdose deaths. Drug residue, baggies, scales, herb grinders, and guns were found in the couple’s home. They have two other children.
We mull over baby names. We paint our nurseries pink and blue; decorate them with bunnies or friendly cartoon characters. We buy sound machines, cashmere receiving blankets, teddy bears 3’ tall, and designer baby clothes.
Amid all the excitement, we overlook only one thing in preparing for the birth of a child. And that is the very thing a child needs most: loving and responsible parents, capable of putting their child’s needs first. Continue reading
First page of Book of John, part of illuminated manuscript known as Athelstan Gospels (late 9th or early 10th Century), British Library (Cotton MS Tiberius A.ii) (PD)
WARNING: Graphic Images
The news comes crashing toward us at the speed of light these days. We cope with it as best we can – ignoring some things, shrugging off others, arguing over (or worrying about) those that strike closest to home.
We can at times be grieved by the news, even wounded by it. More often, in self-defense, we develop calluses. Occasionally, we dare to hope.
- Catholic Church Sex Scandal. Catholic Cardinal, George Pell, the third highest ranking official at the Vatican, has been charged with multiple sexual offenses by Australia . These involve more than one individual, and are believed to extend back decades. Pell will be returning to Australia to mount a defense.
- Mother’s Boyfriend a Threat. Michael McCarthy, convicted of second-degree murder in the 2015 killing of his girlfriend’s two year old daughter, has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a Massachusetts court . Evidently, Bella was killed because she did not want to go to bed. Testimony indicated she had been harshly punished before. Both McCarthy and Rachel Bond, the girl’s mother, were heroin addicts at the time. McCarthy will be eligible for parole in 20 years.
- Opioid Epidemic and Child Abuse/Neglect. Tragically, incidents of this kind are becoming all too common. The nation’s opioid epidemic is having a direct impact on children.
- In urban areas, the number of infants born drug-dependent quadrupled between 2004-2013 [3A]. In rural areas, that number increased by a factor of seven, stretching limited hospital and medical resources to the breaking point [3B].
- As might be expected, the children of addicts are entering foster care at an alarming rate . Often these children live in deplorable conditions for an extended period before the system takes notice. Trash and vermin, illicit drugs, and drug paraphernalia fill the home. Milk and food are absent.
- Preventing Hot Car Deaths. Meanwhile, Bishop Curry, an 11 year old Texas boy, has invented a device that may aid in preventing the deaths of children left unattended in a vehicle . When the “Oasis” detects a child inside a vehicle alone, it texts parents and police while blowing cold air until assistance arrives. Toyota is exploring the possibilities.