WARNING: Graphic Images
The news comes crashing toward us at the speed of light these days. We cope with it as best we can – ignoring some things, shrugging off others, arguing over (or worrying about) those that strike closest to home.
We can at times be grieved by the news, even wounded by it. More often, in self-defense, we develop calluses. Occasionally, we dare to hope.
- Catholic Church Sex Scandal. Catholic Cardinal, George Pell, the third highest ranking official at the Vatican, has been charged with multiple sexual offenses by Australia . These involve more than one individual, and are believed to extend back decades. Pell will be returning to Australia to mount a defense.
- Mother’s Boyfriend a Threat. Michael McCarthy, convicted of second-degree murder in the 2015 killing of his girlfriend’s two year old daughter, has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a Massachusetts court . Evidently, Bella was killed because she did not want to go to bed. Testimony indicated she had been harshly punished before. Both McCarthy and Rachel Bond, the girl’s mother, were heroin addicts at the time. McCarthy will be eligible for parole in 20 years.
- Opioid Epidemic and Child Abuse/Neglect. Tragically, incidents of this kind are becoming all too common. The nation’s opioid epidemic is having a direct impact on children.
- In urban areas, the number of infants born drug-dependent quadrupled between 2004-2013 [3A]. In rural areas, that number increased by a factor of seven, stretching limited hospital and medical resources to the breaking point [3B].
- As might be expected, the children of addicts are entering foster care at an alarming rate . Often these children live in deplorable conditions for an extended period before the system takes notice. Trash and vermin, illicit drugs, and drug paraphernalia fill the home. Milk and food are absent.
- Preventing Hot Car Deaths. Meanwhile, Bishop Curry, an 11 year old Texas boy, has invented a device that may aid in preventing the deaths of children left unattended in a vehicle . When the “Oasis” detects a child inside a vehicle alone, it texts parents and police while blowing cold air until assistance arrives. Toyota is exploring the possibilities.
If we focus on the daily news, especially in tumultuous times like these, we can end up feeling battered. There is, however, another perspective.
God’s view is not subject to the limitations of time. He sees the end from the beginning. Nothing is hidden from Him.
However dark the world may seem, however grave our circumstances, Jesus Christ is our reason for hope. His death and Resurrection restored mankind’s relationship with God, guaranteeing all who follow Him life everlasting.
That truly is Good News.
“We tell you the good news: What God promised our ancestors He has fulfilled for us, their children, by raising up Jesus” (Acts 13: 32-33 NIV).
 The Guardian, “Cardinal George Pell: Vatican official charged with multiple sexual offences” by Melissa Davey and Stephanie Kirchgaessner, 6/29/17, https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jun/29/cardinal-george-pell-charged-with-multiple-sexual-offences.
 NBC News, “Bella Bond Case: Mom’s Ex-Boyfriend Gets Life in Killing of ‘Baby Doe’ ” by Associated Press, 6/28/17, http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bella-bond-case-mom-s-ex-boyfriend-gets-life-killing-n777631.
[3A and 3B] New York Times, “Rise in Infant Drug Dependence Is Felt Most in Rural Areas” by Catherine Saint Louis, 12/12/16, https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/12/health/rise-in-infant-drug-dependence-in-us-is-felt-most-in-rural-areas.html.
 Wall Street Journal, “The Children of the Opioid Crisis” by Jeanne Whalen, 12/15/16, https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-children-of-the-opioid-crisis-1481816178.
 NBC News, “11-Year-Old Texas Boy Invents Device to Prevent Hot Car Deaths” by Kristen Dahlgren and Daniel Arkin, 6/29/17, http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hot-cars-and-kids/11-year-old-texas-boy-invents-device-prevent-hot-car-n777876.
FOR MORE OF MY ARTICLES ON POVERTY, POLITICS, AND MATTERS OF CONSCIENCE CHECK OUT MY BLOG A LAWYER’S PRAYERS AT: http://www.alawyersprayers.com