WARNING: Graphic Images
The news comes crashing toward us at the speed of light these days. We cope with it as best we can – ignoring some things, shrugging off others, arguing over (or worrying about) those that strike closest to home.
We can at times be grieved by the news, even wounded by it. More often, in self-defense, we develop calluses. Occasionally, we dare to hope.
- Catholic Church Sex Scandal. Catholic Cardinal, George Pell, the third highest ranking official at the Vatican, has been charged with multiple sexual offenses by Australia . These involve more than one individual, and are believed to extend back decades. Pell will be returning to Australia to mount a defense.
- Mother’s Boyfriend a Threat. Michael McCarthy, convicted of second-degree murder in the 2015 killing of his girlfriend’s two year old daughter, has been sentenced to life imprisonment by a Massachusetts court . Evidently, Bella was killed because she did not want to go to bed. Testimony indicated she had been harshly punished before. Both McCarthy and Rachel Bond, the girl’s mother, were heroin addicts at the time. McCarthy will be eligible for parole in 20 years.
- Opioid Epidemic and Child Abuse/Neglect. Tragically, incidents of this kind are becoming all too common. The nation’s opioid epidemic is having a direct impact on children.
- In urban areas, the number of infants born drug-dependent quadrupled between 2004-2013 [3A]. In rural areas, that number increased by a factor of seven, stretching limited hospital and medical resources to the breaking point [3B].
- As might be expected, the children of addicts are entering foster care at an alarming rate . Often these children live in deplorable conditions for an extended period before the system takes notice. Trash and vermin, illicit drugs, and drug paraphernalia fill the home. Milk and food are absent.
- Preventing Hot Car Deaths. Meanwhile, Bishop Curry, an 11 year old Texas boy, has invented a device that may aid in preventing the deaths of children left unattended in a vehicle . When the “Oasis” detects a child inside a vehicle alone, it texts parents and police while blowing cold air until assistance arrives. Toyota is exploring the possibilities.
If we focus on the daily news, especially in tumultuous times like these, we can end up feeling battered. There is, however, another perspective.
God’s view is not subject to the limitations of time. He sees the end from the beginning. Nothing is hidden from Him.
However dark the world may seem, however grave our circumstances, Jesus Christ is our reason for hope. His death and Resurrection restored mankind’s relationship with God, guaranteeing all who follow Him life everlasting.
That truly is Good News.
“We tell you the good news: What God promised our ancestors He has fulfilled for us, their children, by raising up Jesus” (Acts 13: 32-33 NIV).
 The Guardian, “Cardinal George Pell: Vatican official charged with multiple sexual offences” by Melissa Davey and Stephanie Kirchgaessner, 6/29/17, https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jun/29/cardinal-george-pell-charged-with-multiple-sexual-offences.
 NBC News, “Bella Bond Case: Mom’s Ex-Boyfriend Gets Life in Killing of ‘Baby Doe’ ” by Associated Press, 6/28/17, http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bella-bond-case-mom-s-ex-boyfriend-gets-life-killing-n777631.
[3A and 3B] New York Times, “Rise in Infant Drug Dependence Is Felt Most in Rural Areas” by Catherine Saint Louis, 12/12/16, https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/12/health/rise-in-infant-drug-dependence-in-us-is-felt-most-in-rural-areas.html.
 Wall Street Journal, “The Children of the Opioid Crisis” by Jeanne Whalen, 12/15/16, https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-children-of-the-opioid-crisis-1481816178.
 NBC News, “11-Year-Old Texas Boy Invents Device to Prevent Hot Car Deaths” by Kristen Dahlgren and Daniel Arkin, 6/29/17, http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hot-cars-and-kids/11-year-old-texas-boy-invents-device-prevent-hot-car-n777876.
FOR MORE OF MY ARTICLES ON POVERTY, POLITICS, AND MATTERS OF CONSCIENCE CHECK OUT MY BLOG A LAWYER’S PRAYERS AT: http://www.alawyersprayers.com
19 responses to “Extra! Extra!”
It is only that hope, Jesus Christ, that can sustain as we run the race. I get so overwhelmed at times with all the evil in this world that I have to stop and grab Jesus’ hand. Thank you for that reminder.
I feel the same way, Sue. It’s precisely the reason I wrote the post.
Jesus told us Anna that in the End Times it will be like in the times of Noah and that was very evil.
I went into a Bargain Gift shop recently and saw pottery figurines of woman with their breasts exposed and men with tiny penises like babies and others showing their naked backsides.
Children are being exposed to Porn and nothing is being done to stop it even the Police took very little interest so they are still in the shop.
I was telling someone about it later and he excused it by saying famous Artists have painted Breasts and Penises in their Paintings of Men and Woman, so why the concern.
I replied ……”Just because Artists have painted Porn does not make it acceptable, God covered Adam and Eve’s nakedness and He tells us that we are not to accept evil as good in ourselves or in others or in the World…. If I’m extreme than so is God”
Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good and good evil, that put darkness for Light and Light for darkness, that put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! (KJV)
Psalm 94:16 Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?(KJV)
Philippians 4 ( 8- 9 ) Finally brethren whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy meditate on these things. (KJV)
Christian Love Always – Anne
Thank you for commenting, Anne. It took courage for you to speak out in that store. I recently turned to a favorite movie channel only to find an old film running about the dangers of pornography — a film being ridiculed as prudish, and old-fashioned despite its shocking imagery. Our culture has lost its way. We no longer recognize the difference between good and evil.
Your words are powerful and inspirational. Thank you for sharing
Thank you so much!
Kids sure suffer mightily for the stupidity of adults don’t they?
You said it, Wally. And the scars can last a lifetime.
This really a case in point how the government can never really fix what ails us on this one. What these kids need is real help from real people. This is a role the church should be much more active in than we are.
I agree completely. There are is such crying need. There are so many opportunities to love. But love is messy. It takes getting involved. Much easier to stand at a distance and be self-righteous.
Ha, yeah you said it Anna. Love is very messy.
I often wonder how we the church can do so little when our New Testament examples gave themselves so completely to the work of ministry. What are we missing? What did they have that we don’t?
This past Wednesday I was blessed to minister at our church, and afterward a few came forward asking for prayer for specific needs. I have to say that it is always amazing to me to hear of the challenges some are facing every day. If we the church don’t get involved in these messy lives, who will? Who else is there to care?
Finally, this issue of leaving children in hot cars baffles me. Can someone explain to me why we are suddenly experiencing an epidemic of this? What is the change point that has brought this about? Are we parents so distracted by life, cell phones, and drugs that all we think about is
ourselves? Trying to come up with another “gadget” is all well and good, but what is the root cause of this phenomenon?
Sorry Anna, I’ve been wanting to say something about this for some time, and well, you gave me the opportunity! Wonderful post, and some great comments!
Have a great week!
I always enjoy your company and your insights, Ron. Like you, I feel Western Christians should be doing more in the world. Scripture tells us that faith without deeds is dead (James 2: 17).
It seems to me things were different when we were kids. There was more of a sense of community. People knew one another; knew if a neighbor needed help. For all our electronic devices, we have grown more isolated.
As for hot car deaths, they are in my view a travesty. The death of a local child is, in fact, what prompted this young boy to try and come up with a solution.
You have a great week too, Ron. Thanks for stopping by.
Thank you very much dear for sharing very inspirational words
You are a jewel, Anita. Kisses right back at you. ❤
So sad, this kind of news but you are right to keep your eyes on Jesus.
It is not easy to keep our eyes on Him, when chaos seems to be all around us. But the Lord remains in charge. Thank you for commenting, Wanda.
I agree, not easy. Thank you for your post.