WARNING: Graphic Images
- In 1994, divorced mother, Susan Smith, deliberately drowned her two young sons . First fabricating a story that she had been hijacked, Smith ultimately admitted having intentionally rolled her vehicle into a lake with Michael, 3 y.o., and Alex, 14 m.o., still in the backseat. Smith claimed to be suicidal at the time. However, testimony at trial revealed Smith’s desire to resume her relationship with a man who did not want children.
- In 1997, Melissa Drexler, 18 y.o., gave birth in a bathroom stall at her prom, suffocated her newborn, and left the baby’s body in a trash can .
- In 2002, Andrea Yates drowned all five of her young children in the bathtub . Yates had been suffering from serious postpartum depression, and had made multiple suicide attempts. She was ultimately found not guilty by reason of insanity.
- Last year, Stephanie Adams, a former Playboy model, pushed her son, Vincent, 7 y.o., out a Manhattan hotel window to his death before jumping herself . Adams was involved in a custody dispute with the boy’s father at the time.
- Last month, Martin Pereira burned his daughter Zoey, 3 y.o., to death [5A]. Intent on committing suicide, Pereira had placed the child in the backseat of his vehicle, with gas cans in the vehicle and the rear doors chained shut. Pereira, himself, escaped the blaze at the last moment. He, too, was involved in a custody dispute.
The names change, but the story remains the same.
A study published in Forensic Science International found that as many as 500 children per year in the United States are killed by a parent . This does not take into account abortions. Continue reading