“But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea” (Matt. 18: 6 Berean Study Bible).
Sexuality is a dangerous thing. The Weinstein scandal has reminded us of that . A power differential allows those with power to exploit those without it – sexually and otherwise.
But the exploited are not always women. An account in Vulture by a man who alleges he was sexually involved with actor Kevin Spacey at age 14 (and that Spacey, 10 years his senior, attempted to rape him) sheds light on the confusion in a child’s mind, where sex is concerned . Raw though that account is, I recommend it to you.
The Vulture account makes the following points:
- Children are trusting. They do not question the motives of adults who appear to care for them. For that reason alone, children can be easily manipulated. They believe the promises made to them (and lies told them) by loved ones…however farfetched.
- Immaturity can expose children to dangers of which they are unaware. It is the reason we have statutory rape laws in place. Immaturity can, also, cause children to assume responsibility for circumstances over which they had little or no control…circumstances in which they were, in fact, victimized.
- Children who have been victimized once are often victimized again. Those who are emotionally needy are most vulnerable.
- Children may mistakenly view themselves as adults long before they possess the capacities of an adult. But judgment and perspective require life experience. “Sophistication” on a child’s part is no substitute.
- Homosexuality and pedophilia are not one and the same.
Christ, Himself, condemned those who would abuse children. One way or another, in this world or the next, those who violate that prohibition will find doing so is a dangerous thing.
 According to Entertainment Weekly, 56 women had accused producer Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment as of October 28, 2017. Included in that number are Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie. See, Entertainment Weekly, “56 Women Who Have Accused Harvey Weinstein of Sexual Harassment”; 10/28/17, http://ew.com/movies/women-accused-harvey-weinstein-sexual-misconduct/harvey-weinsteins-accusers. High profile men similarly accused include James Tobak, Oliver Stone, Ben Affleck, Roy Price, and Bill O’Reilly.
 Vulture, “Man Comes Forward to Describe an Alleged Extended Sexual Relationship He Had at Age 14 With Kevin Spacey” by E. Alex Jung, 11/2/17, http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/kevin-spacey-alleged-sexual-relationship.html.
FOR MORE OF MY ARTICLES ON POVERTY, POLITICS, AND MATTERS OF CONSCIENCE CHECK OUT MY BLOG A LAWYER’S PRAYERS AT: https://alawyersprayers.com