The state of Washington legalized commercial surrogacy in 2018, despite opposition by children’s rights advocates . A list of the states which allow surrogacy in one form or another can be found at https://www.creativefamilyconnections.com/us-surrogacy-law-map/.bi .
“Last year I sat in stunned silence at a WA State Senate hearing concerning the matter of commercial surrogacy. The proposed bill contained 55 pages of legislative text full of demands and bloviations about alleged parental rights. Its goal was to legalize commercial surrogacy without limit through the entire state.
I listened as concerned citizens pointed out the many dangerous loopholes in the bill and requested amendments that would safeguard both the women and children from potential abuse, but every request was categorically shot down as unnecessary.
There were no limits whatsoever to prevent abuse:
- No required background checks for prospective parents (Convicted pedophiles could commission children.)
- No limit to the number of children any given person could order. (One millionaire from Japan has fathered at least 13 children via surrogacy. His expressed goal is to father at least 1000 over time)
- No limit to the amount of compensation any given surrogate can receive (Hello, money-hungry human traffickers)
- No requirements for surrogates to be WA State residents (Again, traffickers?)
- No language preventing mentally disabled women from being exploited for commercial gain
In all 55 pages of text, there was but one single solitary reference to the needs of the child. The rest was emotionally manipulative language revealing a deep seated sense of entitlement and a devil-may-care attitude toward the myriad ethical implications on the people most greatly affected by surrogacy- the women and children.”