The past two years have been eventful for the world. First, Covid dominated the news. Now, the tragic war in Ukraine (with 115 children killed, 140 injured, an untold number orphaned, and 1.5 million made refugees) is a major focus .
The following events have, also, taken place. They demonstrate that evil never rests:
- Incest — Gucci heiress, Alexandra Zarini, has alleged that her stepfather, Joseph Ruffalo, sexually abused her between the ages of six and twenty-two. Her lawsuit has fractured the family, and confirmed that wealth is no safeguard against child abuse .
- Catholic Church Sex Scandal — Retired Pope Benedict XVI (former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger) has asked forgiveness from victims for his mishandling of four Catholic Church sex abuse cases . Ratzinger did not in so many words apologize or accept blame. He continues to deny personal responsibility for the rapes and sodomy perpetuated by his failure to curtail the ministries of pedophile priests when complaints first surfaced .
- Abortion/Infanticide — In expectation of the possible overturn of Roe v. Wade by the US Supreme Court, Maryland is one of several states in the process of amending their state constitutions to recognize abortion as a fundamental right [6A]. Under the proposed Maryland legislation, an infant who survived an abortion could be left to die without care. No legal investigation would be conducted, and no penalty imposed on anyone involved. ACLJ Assoc. Counsel Olivia Summers explained, “The bill, also, proposes a revision of the fetal murder/manslaughter statute that would serve to handcuff the investigation of infant deaths unrelated to abortion. In other words – this bill will effectively legalize infanticide [emphasis added][6B].”
- Trafficking — Nine current and former employees at Refuge Ranch, a state contracted foster care facility in Texas, are alleged to have again trafficked the victims of sex trafficking placed in their care .
- Drug Abuse — Both children and adults were injured when the powerful opioid fentanyl was released through air vents at Northwest Ohio Juvenile Detention Training and Rehabilitation Center in Stryker, OH . Fentanyl overdoses among teens have tripled during the Covid crisis. Why the drug would have been present at the Center at all is unclear. An investigation is underway.
No, evil never rests. Neither can we.
“For they do not sleep unless they have done evil; And their sleep is taken away unless they make someone fall. For they eat the bread of wickedness, And drink the wine of violence” (Prov. 4: 16-17).
 Hindustan Times, “Russia-Ukraine war: 115 children killed, 140 injured so far, says report” by Manjiri Sachin Chitre, 3/20/22, https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/russiaukraine-war-115-children-killed-140-injured-so-far-says-report-101647775243391.html.
 United Nations News, “Ukraine war creating a child refugee almost every second: UNICEF”, 3/15/22, https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/03/1113942.
 The Guardian, “Gucci heiress files lawsuit alleging stepfather sexually abused her” by Edward Helmore, 9/10/20, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/10/alexandra-zarini-gucci-stepfather-joseph-ruffalo-sexual-abuse-lawsuit.
 ABC News, “Retired pope asks pardon for abuse, but admits no wrongdoing” by Nicole Winfield, 2/8/22, https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/retired-pope-asks-pardon-abuse-admits-wrongdoing-82740854.
 Religion News Service (RNS), “The lesson for Catholic bishops from Benedict report: Apologize, apologize, apologize” by Fr. Thomas Reese, 1/31/22, https://religionnews.com/2022/01/31/catholic-prelates-like-benedict-need-to-apologize-apologize-apologize/.
[6A and 6B] CBN News, “ACLJ Warns Proposed Maryland Senate Bill ‘Could Legalize Infanticide Up to 28 Days After Birth” by Steve Warren, 3/8/22, https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2022/march/aclj-warns-proposed-maryland-senate-bill-could-legalize-infanticide-up-to-28-days-after-birth.
 National Review, “Maryland Bill Effectively Decriminalizes Neglecting Newborns to Death” by Wesley Smith, 3/5/22, https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/maryland-bill-effectively-decriminalizes-neglecting-newborns-to-death/.
 Washington Post, “Victims of sex trafficking went to a foster facility where they allegedly were trafficked again” by Lindsey Bever, 3/11/22, https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/03/11/foster-care-sex-trafficking.
 Newsweek, “Fentanyl Released Through Air Vents At Child Detention Center Injures Seven” by Thomas Kika, 3/21/22, https://www.newsweek.com/fentanyl-released-through-air-vents-child-detention-center-injures-seven-1690062.
FOR MORE OF MY ARTICLES ON POVERTY, POLITICS, AND MATTERS OF CONSCIENCE CHECK OUT MY BLOG A LAWYER’S PRAYERS AT: https://alawyersprayers.com